Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Walmart Follows The Computing Plan

Some folks think that the US doesn't have a plan to deal with global warming because we didn't ratify Kyoto. In fact, we do have a plan and it's called the market economy. Now that might be a bad plan, and in fact I think we will ultimately regret our decision to go it alone. But as an American I have to go with it because it's what we as a nation decided to do.

Which leads me to the full endorsement of Walmart and their announcement that they are now going to offer green electronics to their consumers. Barring the ongoing debate as to whether Walmart is good or bad for America, the fact is that Walmart accounts for about 9 percent of all retail in the US. They have a huge influence on their suppliers to promote efficiency. Of course, other companies are doing their part as well e.g. HP just announced a new line of green computers, and I applaud them. So, if you want to have minimal impact with your next electronic gear purchase, follow the plan you voted for and check these guys out.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mark. Tried to send this story to you but because of crashes on 2 different computers (long story), I can't access my Outlook and thus locate your email address. Technology, isn't it wonderful? I think I'll go back to paper address books...

I also applaud this move by Wal-Mart, and hope it moves the US electronics industries to work harder and faster at WEEE solutions. Now, if Wal-Mart would also apply this to its stores in Latin America, I would be a very happy camper...

Warm Regards,
Keith

Mark Ontkush said...

Hi Keith,

Thanks for posting, I saw you had some 'big hits' recently. Congratulations. Yes, I used to be very anti-Walmart but they have really come a long way. Lets give them a chance.

mark

Unknown said...

Mark, sorry for the bother & for doing it through this medium, but could you kindly email me so I can rebuild my contact info? Also FYI, you may be interested in the Dell post I just did. Probably will get me in trouble, but it had to be said...
Best Regards,
Keith