Friday, February 02, 2007

We Can Change the Time, How About the Tune

Many of you know that daylight savings time is going to be extended by a full two months this year, starting on March 11 and ending November 4. Lots of states seem to be doing their own thing, but overall, the change is supposed to save 100,000 barrels of oil. Since we use about 20 million barrels a day, I figure that's about .0013 percent, only 1000 times more efficient than black Google.

Of course, none of the computers will like this; you will pretty much have to patch every OS, piece of hardware, and software suite that you own. Here's some more help. Something to do this Spring, but here's my point; changing the time on millions of Americans and computers is within our framework for change, but mandating, say, CFC bulbs in every household is not (except for California.) Why is that?

2 comments:

4 said...

Mark, thanks for the link. Nice redesign.

I think the lighting industry needs to do a better job promoting Compact Fluorescent bulbs. The markup on those is huge (as compared to an $0.80 incandescent. The problem is perception. When I think CFL, I think of the shitty light and flickering warmup time in a dumpy hotel. They've come a long way since then, but I don't think the general public knows enough about them.

Also, if you get a chance, check out my other blog that I've been working on. I think you'll like it: Oregon Outdoor Journal.

Mark Ontkush said...

Hi Matt,

do you know what the markup is on those? They are a little more expensive, I was wondering how much they cost to produce.

I will explore Oregon Outdoor Journal, thanks.

mark