Saturday, December 23, 2006

First Principles (Bob Black Attack)

It's high time we got to the root of this green computing problem, and I think I have figured out what it is. Me, and the Center for Economic and Policy Research think that it's work. They estimate that if everyone worked as long and hard as Americans do, the world is going to use 15-30 percent more energy than we are now by 2050.

It reminds me of the essay The Abolition of Work, written by Bob Black in 1985. It is a short, though strangely compelling piece about how we should all really do less. I have tongue only somewhat in cheek when I state that the most environmentally friendly thing any of us can do is go to sleep. The cat is our hero here - with most sleeping 13 to 14 hours a day, and almost never using computers (well, sometimes), they are about as green as you can get.

Something tells me that if everyone in the world works harder, that the 15 to 30 percent more energy we use won't make things 15 to 30 percent better. In fact, the solution is right under our noses - just sit on on your fanny and do nothing. It's easy, in fact you are probably doing it right now. So, turn off that computer and take a nap, write me and let me know how it goes.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark-
Excellent story. I'm glad to see that you're quoting my brother's employer; I don't think it happens too often. And Bob Black's piece on work is always worthy of more publicity.
Brian