Sunday, September 10, 2006

Let's Go to the Movies...

because that is what seems to be the new trend in buying monitors for business and pleasure. It used to be, oh, way, way, back, maybe even ten years ago, that a 15 inch was okey-dokey for the typical computer user. Then the 17 inch monitors came, then the 21's. I lost track after that because I stopped at 17.

Turns out that maybe I should have kept following the trend, as studies prove that more screen space turns into more productivity. Slate is calling it the true desktop environment, because it really looks like a desk now, you will have piles of virtual documents all over the place. Wow, just like real life. Day traders have done this for years, have 6-8 monitors all with something different running on them.

I haven't tried this yet, but I am going to because i have heard from co-workers it really does make a difference. I hope this just isn't more non-discretionary spending thrown at users in high hopes that their productivity numbers will increase. The greenie in me says that this is a fine line between getting yet another thing to throw out in a few years, and and having some measurable gains in efficiency.

No comments: