But is it green? Certainly Sun thinks so. Cassatt, a leading provider of management software for these types of installations, seems to head in this direction. Here are some bullets from their brochure:
- On average, 90% of IT resources in major data centers sit idle, which translates into millions of dollars in unused assets.
- Data center space and power requirements are running at maximum capacity or pushing
- beyond because so much hardware is needed to maintain required service levels.
- As much as 90% of IT budgets are spent on “keeping the lights on,” leaving very little money for implementing new ideas that could help with competitive differentiation.
- IT organizations are constantly playing catch-up with the ever-increasing demand for
- improved service levels from their business applications.
- Even with the dramatic capital expenditure savings realized by low-cost hardware, and
- moving from RISC/SMP to small commodity servers, IT organizations are not able to make substantial cost reductions.
- Capital savings are completely off set by increases in operational costs.