Thursday, July 12, 2007

Mike Dell Drives a Hummer - Boo Hoo or Yee Haw?

Last month AutoMotoPortal filled us in on the cars that famous geeks drive. It's interesting, if not surprising, reading. Turns out that Mike Dell drives a Hummer a good deal of the time; let's look at the environmental repercussions of that bit of information, and figure out what to do with it.

Dell has received high eco marks, and much of this credit could easily be attributed to Michael Dell himself; does he get Bonus for his hard work? Thoughts were muddied and confused on the issue, and some kind of comparison was needed. Let's take Mr. Dell, myself, and the "World Citizen" who survives on $2 a day (they are half the world's population by the way). Now, let's overlap these three guys with driving a Hummer, a Prius, and a Bicycle. Here are the results.

Michael Dell
Hummer
First Thought: couldn't he do with less car?
Second Thought: might be justified (don't billionaires need security personnel?)

Michael Dell
Prius
First Thought: that would be a statement!
Second Thought: probably doesn't meet his needs as a global executive.

Michael Dell
Bicycle
First Thought: wow!
Second Thought: is an idiotic waste of Michael Dell's time.

Myself
Hummer
First Thought: what am I doing in this thing?
Second Thought: is one of most absurd decisions I made in my life!

Myself
Prius
First Thought: I'm sacrificing some leg room, but it gets good mileage.
Second Thought: might be the next car for me.

Myself
Bicycle
First Thought: if I don't get killed on the streets of Boston, I'll feel good.
Second Thought: is fairly unrealistic for a busy guy with a family.

World Citizen
Hummer
First Thought: I hope it makes carrying water from the well ten miles away easier.
Second Thought: is none of my business - who am I to say what a guy living on $2 a day can and cannot do?

World Citizen
Prius
First Thought: I hope it makes carrying water from the well ten miles away easier.
Second Thought: is none of my business - who am I to say what a guy living on $2 a day can and cannot do?

World Citizen
Bicycle
First Thought: I hope it makes carrying water from the well ten miles away easier.
Second Thought: is none of my business - who am I to say what a guy living on $2 a day can and cannot do?

Let's tally the results; Dell's vehicle of choice seems bad, but in fact it might be the most practical one of the three for him. The Hummer and bicycle were bad choices for me, but the Prius seemed good. Finally, I felt so bad for the $2 a day guy that I didn't really care what form of transportation they had.

Overall, it seems like practicality, tailored to personal needs and situation wins the day. I challenge the readers; is there a better environmental argument?

No comments: